TravelTek

Published on Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Air passenger injured by exploding headphones



Aviation authorities have issued guidance to passengers travelling with battery-powered devices after a woman's headphones caught fire mid-flight.

She'd fallen asleep on the flight from Beijing to Melbourne when she was woken by the sound of an explosion, said the BBC.

She tore off the headphones, which were sparking. They then caught fire and melted.

The woman, an Australian, was left with a blackened face and blisters on her hands.

A report by the Australian Aviation Safety Authority said it was likely a fault with a lithium-ion battery and it has published a set of guidelines for travelling safely with batteries and power packs, warning that 'as the range of products using batteries grows, the potential for in-flight issues increases'.

Last year, malfunctioning batteries in Samsung's Note 7 caused some of the smartphones to overheat, catch fire and melt on flights. The product has since been scrapped.

Story Image



Your Comments

, be the first to post a comment.
Your email:






Email other comments made to this story
Code Request a new picture 5 characters



NOTE: Comments are subject to admin approval before being posted.
Mole Poll
TSA fails latest undercover tests: Time to privatize airport security?
yes 61.16 %
no 38.84 %

Thank you for your vote




Move scroll bar (above) left to right for more videos!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Sponsored features

roomsXML - saving travel agents from heartburns and wasted man-hours


Founded in 2007, roomsXML is an online B2B accommodation wholesaler serving travel agents and tour operators with offices in Australia, India, UAE, UK and USA. roomsXML is winner of numerous industry awards and accolades, including 'MSE 2' high credit worthiness certificate from CRISIL - an S&P Global company.

\m