The British are amongst the most annoying travellers in the world, a global poll reveals.
Americans top the list (18%), followed by those from France (12%) and Germany (10%).
British and Chinese travellers (equaly six per cent) complete the roll call of the five most annoying nationalities, according to the survey of 8,931 people â€“ including almost 500 from the UK - by online travel reviews company TripAdvisor.
Children who kick the back of airline seats are the ultimate no-no for almost one third of travellers (31%).
Rude seat recliners drive one in five travellers mad (21%), whilst passengers who bellow down their mobile phones (16%), block the aisles whilst stowing their bags (12%) and hog the armrests (4%) are rated as being the most annoying traveller traits.
A spokesman for TripAdvisor said: â€œThe notion of â€˜travelling for pleasureâ€™ can be a total farce when youâ€™re surrounded by passengers who seem intent on making their presence felt â€“ be it with a boot in the back, or an elbow in the ribs.â€
Top 10 Most Annoying Travellers
1. Americans 18%
2. French 12%
3. Germans 10%
4. British 6%
5. Chinese 6%
6. Russians 5%
8. Italians 5%
9. Indians 2%
Top Travel Annoyances
1. Children kicking your seat back 31%
2. Rude seat recliners 21%
3. Loud mobile phone conversations 16%
4. Passengers taking too long to stow overhead baggage 12%
5. People getting up before the seatbelt sign is off 5%
6. Armrest hogs 4%
7. Passengers consuming smelly food 4%
8. Travellers blocking moving walkways 3%
9. â€œShoulder surfersâ€ reading over your shoulder 1%
10. People wandering in front of airport service carts 1%
by Phil Davies
Monday, November 24, 2008
roomsXML.com's game-changing innovations is fast becoming travel agents' preferred global accommodation supplier