Published on Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Turkey tourism attempts poverty eradication
The city of Kars
MDG-F joint programme to contribute to the first Millennium Development Goal by addressing Turkey"s regional development disparities
The objective of the MDG-F Joint Programme for the "Alliances for Culture Tourism in Eastern Anatolia" is to contribute towards the realization of the first Millennium Development Goal at a local level by addressing Turkey"s regional development disparities, in particular those related to Kars Province.
The objectives include the mobilization of the culture sector in Turkey's Eastern Anatolia region through activities including tourism development with a particular focus on the Province of Kars; the promotion of national ownership; the creation of a model of participatory governance; and the stimulation of increased income for the people of Kars Province .
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is responsible for three major outputs including the formulation of a Tourism Master Plan, capacity-building amongst local communities for entrepreneurship to enhance income from tourism-related activities, and marketing and promotion activities for Kars province.
The Joint Programme was officially extended for an additional six months until July 2011.
Activities have included:
- A study tour with 32 local stakeholders from Kars Province was carried out to Spanish tourism destinations in December 2009 (activity 4).
- Ongoing training in English language
- Training for tourism entrepreneurship
- A three-day training workshop was held in Kars in May 2010 with 25 local stakeholders for the purpose of setting up a framework for a potential TGO for Kars Province.
- Feasibility studies on tourism use of cultural assets - buildings, sites, and other assets.
- Work with identified communities and groups (rural communities, women"s groups etc.) on identification of enterprise opportunities and capacity building needs (handicrafts, produce supply, accommodation, catering, retail, events).
- Study tours within Turkey and international.
Tour Operators from Germany, United Kingdom, Iran and Turkey as well as Turkish participated in a FAM trip which included visits to Sar-~±kam-~±-
-¸, Ani Antique City, Kuyucuk and Ç-~±ld-~±r lakes, as well as Kars city centre.
On the last day of the famtour, a round table was organized for participants and local tourism stakeholders in order to share and exchange impressions and opinions of Kars" tourism and to provide feedback on areas to be improved in order to increase the attractiveness for tour operators to include Kars Province in their product ranges.
Valere is editor of the Sustainable Tourism Report Suite 2011 Special Offers HERE