Record snowfall leads to avalanche safety tips
Warnings come about the risk of avalanches as Europe enjoys record snowfall.
Austria Tirol has had more snow this month than any other January in the last 30 years.
But the Tirol tourist board says heavy snowfall over a short period can increase avalanche danger.
It is urging skiers to follow basic safety tips.
- Watch weather and snow reports and get a piste map
- Take note of where you are and warning signs
- Wear a helmet, go off piste with a guide and carry a transceiver, probe and shovel
- Check out the FIS (International Ski Federation) rules for ski and snowboard conduct
- Learn from the experts with local knowledge - book a lesson
By Diane Evans
Tuesday, January 10, 2012