Pilot sustainable and community tourism destinations still time to apply
Pilot destinations are being sought for integrated tourism development initiative
Pilot destinations are being sought for an integrated tourism development initiative. The results-based programme will use social media, training, and local co-operations to develop sustainable destination tourism potential and maximise demonstrable local economic benefits.
So over 70 destinations have asked for further information but the quota for specific destinations (12 in the first year) has not yet been allocated.
Pilot destinations are being sought for a new tourism development initiative. Based on the destinations requirements, each individual programme will include a mix of:
- Local SME and SMME tourism training
- Development of local tourism co-operations related to all tourism-facing local businesses (including retail, producers, cultural)
- B2B and consumer marketing development, creation and delivery
- Local branding and social media initiatives
- Development of B2B and MICE business
- Development of niche tourism products (including soft adventure, cultural and walking holidays)
- Development of multi-sectoral integrated tourism products (including local food and drink, local artisan, local cultural activities)
- Development of tourism-creating events (such as festivals, fairs and markets)
Initially the programme is set to focus on smaller tourism destinations with a significant tourism potential and some existing tourism product. The object is to develop tourism which has demonstrable and calculable economic, social, cultural and environmental benefits for local populations and maximizes tourist spend into the local economy.
In the first instance 12 destinations will be chosen to take part in the initiative although the pilot will be expanded during the course of the programme.
Expressions of interest can be presented by any tourism-related interested party (private or public sector) should be sent in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org
Expressions of interest should include a description of the destination and its current and potential tourism activity - in no more than 500 words.
Further information at: http://www.totemtourism.com/1/post/2012/05/pilot-destinations-sought-for-integrated-tourism-development-initiative.html
The Integrated Tourism Development Initiative is created by the Sustainable Tourism Report Suite - supporters: ABTA - The Travel Association, ITB Berlin, Discover Ltd., Club Med, Innovation Norway, Thomas Cook Ltd., FourBGB, Cape Town Tourism, Bord Failte, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Green Tourism Business Scheme, MCI Business School Innsbruck
Valere TjolleKeep up with the latest sustainable tourism info, special offers HERE
Sunday, July 15, 2012