The Chiang Mai hotel at the centre of a mystery after four guests - three of them tourists - died at the northern Thailand property, is being demolished to make way for a new hotel.
The Downtown Inn made headlines amid claims that chemicals used there might have caused the deaths.
A British couple, a 23-year-old New Zealander, and a Thai tour guide all died within 16 days in adjoining rooms at the three-star Downtown Inn in February 2011.
Thai health authorities initially blamed "toxic seaweed" for one of the deaths, but it later emerged that hotel staff might have been over-zealous with the use of pesticides to remove bed bugs.
The Bangkok Post reported that an official report - released after a five-month probe into the incidents - concluded that three of the deaths were probably connected to the use of pesticides.
Chiang Mai authorities have subsequently introduced a series of public health safety measures which they hope will offer greater protection to tourists.
by Ian Jarrett
Tuesday, May 29, 2012