A British tourist has died after drinking huge quantities of cheap alcohol in the Cypriot tourist resort of Ayia Napa.
George Yuill, 20, from south-east London, died from asphyxiation after suffocating on his vomit in a hotel apartment block on Monday morning, reports the Daily Mail.
Yuill and five other friends had drunk 10 three-litre bottles of vodka and 25 beers during a long drinking session, a police source said.
Three litres of vodka sells for as little as 15 euros in the Cypriot resort.
The authorities said Mr Yuill had lain down on the balcony of his apartment at around 7am and although his friends brought him inside, he never woke up.
Last month Britain's top diplomat on the holiday island, Matthew Kidd, visited Ayia Napa to encourage young British tourists to drink in moderation.
'Holiday Hangover - Don't overdo it,' is the slogan of the British High Commission's campaign.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012