The Kenyan Government has tightened security in and around the coastal city of Mombasa after violent protests earlier this week.
Hotels owners in Mombasa say the unrest, which have claimed four lives so far, is threatening the tourism industry.
The Kenya Ministry of Tourism issued a statement today stressing that so far there has not been any attacks on tourists or tourist facilities in Mombasa.
"The Government regrets this tragic incident and the ensuing unrest at the coast and has since beefed up security to contain the situation ahead of this year's International Agricultural Society of Kenya show festivities," said the statement.
One civilian and three police officers have been killed in the violence, which broke out on Monday after the drive-by shooting of Muslim cleric Aboud Rogo Mohammed.
Police have been dispersing looters with teargas.
Reuters reports that the cleric had been accused by the UN and US of recruiting and funding Islamist fighters in Somalia.
The city is reported to be calm now, but an hotelier said it was hard to shield tourists from the troubles.
"It's tricky to even take them or pick them (up) from the airport because the main highway from the airport is the epicentre of the chaos," said Mohammed Hersi, who runs the Whitesands Hotel.
The UK Foreign Office is not advising against travel to Mombasa despite the riots, but it is warning British holidaymakers to be cautious.
It said: "On August 27 rioting erupted between police and youths in central Mombasa and along the Bombolulu and Saba Saba area of the North Coast. Continued unrest is being reported in the Majengo District of Mombasa. You should exercise caution when travelling to these areas and avoid large gatherings."
Thursday, August 30, 2012