After the attacks on the American Embassy in Egypt on September 11, the U.S. State Department issued warnings saying the situation was "fluid." It urged travelers to use "caution" but stopped short of issuing a "don't go" warning.
Arthur Frommer, the travel industry pundit of Frommers.com has issued his own "don't go warning," saying in his blog last week that he believes the police are not protecting tourists and that the government of President Mohamed Morsi's silence after the attack did not promote an atmosphere of safety. "Safety comes first," he said. "Right now, Egypt is not safe."
Meanwhile, other experts are arguing that Morsi's opening up of Egypt's full Nile cruise itinerary and his recent statements on the importance of tourism and tourists to Egypt's economy point to a stable foundation for travel.
In her Huffington Post blog, Jean Newman Glock, Director of Leisure and Group Travel for Connoisseur Travel referred to a recent meeting with President Morsi in Egypt during which he "made clear it that he wished to do all possible to ensure that tourists returning to Egypt felt safe and welcome."
Glock notes that while the Embassy demonstrations were front page news, they were not "representative of the nation as a whole."
"The world needs to continue to discover the wonder that is Egypt, past and present and experience the very warm hospitality of millions of Egyptians who are waiting for your return," Glock said.
Monday, September 17, 2012