Published on Monday, March 6, 2017
New MH370 search to be crowdfunded
Just days ahead of the third anniversary of the disappearance of MH370, a crowdfunding campaign has been set up to pay for a new search.
Newly created foundation Project 370 is behind the latest effort and consists of an international group of meteorologists, aviation safety consultants and other supporters from around the world.
Project 370 says the best hope for success is to check the area highlighted by US statistician Mike Chillit.
"Of all the possibilities we have evaluated so far, this area defined by Mike appears to be the most accurate. If that is empty, we hope to go on to further likely areas defined by other, less compelling evidence," said Project 370 member Mark D. Young.
The group's website went live before the weekend outlining its strategy to raise sufficient funds for a new search.
It hopes to raise an initial $4 million to deploy crewed ships with the necessary sonar equipment for the first phase and at least an additional $2.5 million to continue the search.
"We cannot just sit back and let the final resting place of 239 fellow human beings not be found. How they got there is a vital question that has to be answered for the safety of every airline passenger in the world," Young added in a statement.
MH370 went missing on the night of March 8, 2014, as it was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.