After fatal robbery, NCL pulls out of Roatan
Norwegian Cruise Line said it has canceled port calls to Roatan, Honduras this week following the death of a NCL crew member from the Norwegian Pearl during a robbery attempt on April 6.
"In an abundance of caution for our guests and crew, we have canceled calls to Roatan this week for Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Jewel," the line said on its Facebook page, adding that a suspect is in local police custody.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the crew member."
The Norwegian Pearl was the only ship in port on Sunday, the day of the attack.
Other cruise ships due in Roatan this week include the Caribbean Princess, Royal Caribbean’s Navigator of the Seas and Carnival ships Liberty, Legend and Conquest.
Royal Caribbean spokeswomen Cynthia Martinez said: "We are working closely with the Honduran government to improve security."
There are no immediate plans to cancel or change or port calls, she said.
Earlier this year, a family from the Carnival Conquest was robbed at gunpoint in the town during a shore excursion and Carnival now issues information sheets to cruisers offering advice and safety tips.
The US State Department issued a travel warning in December for US visitors.
It noted that resort areas such as Roatan have lower crime levels than the mainland but are "still high by international standards," it said.
TravelMole Editorial Team
Editor for TravelMole North America and Asia pacific regions. Ray is a highly experienced (15+ years) skilled journalist and editor predominantly in travel, hospitality and lifestyle working with a huge number of major market-leading brands. He has also cover in-depth news, interviews and features in general business, finance, tech and geopolitical issues for a select few major news outlets and publishers.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.
































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025