Second Costa cruise ship in trouble
A liner owned by the same company as the Costa Concordia, which ran aground off Italy last month, killing 32, is adrift in the Indian Ocean after a fire in the engine room left it without power, the company said.
The 129,000-tonne Costa Allegra – with 636 passengers and 413 crew onboard – is adrift in an area plagued by pirates.
It has been reached by a fishing boat, which will communicate with rescue tugs on their way to the scene.
The ship has no lights or air-conditioning and an emergency generator providing communications “could fail at any minute”, the Italian coastguard says.
Tugs are not expected to reach the stricken vessel until 1500 GMT on Tuesday.
The ship’s owner, Costa Cruises, has stressed that the Allegra is steady and conditions are safe.
Ian Jarrett
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.
































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025