Phildelphia
http://admin.travelmole.com/images/stories/2009/images/Sydneyfireworks.jpg

Published on Sunday, December 29, 2019

Thousands sign petition to cancel Sydney NYE fireworks amid wildfires



A petition calling for the cancellation of Sydney's famous New Year's Eve firework display has been signed by over a quarter of a million people.





Petition organiser Linda McCormick said the money should be spent on fighting bush fires that threaten the city and say the display may traumatise people who are dealing with 'enough smoke in the air'.


In New South Wales, nearly 100 fires are burning.


But Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the fireworks would go ahead.


She said the fireworks were planned 15 months in advance and most of the budget had already been spent.


"We can't cancel the fireworks and even if we could, doing so would have little practical benefit," she said.


Meanwhile, thousands of residents and holidaymakers in Victoria have been told to evacuate as bush fires worsen amid fears forecasted changes in wind direction on Monday could lead to 'extreme danger'.


Image by Kalipsotri on Pixabay.

Story Image



Your Comments

, be the first to post a comment.
Your email:






Email other comments made to this story


NOTE: Comments are subject to admin approval before being posted.
Mole Poll
Has the announcement of a UK quarantine further hit bookings?
YES 58.42 %
NO 41.58 %

Thank you for your vote



What is GoodtoGo?

Submit your news
or special offer


Current UK Special Edition



Current US Special Edition



Current Asia/Pacific Special Edition



LATEST 'MOLE VIDEOS

Malta prepares to open up to the world

Iceland plans to launch new UK trade initiative

Mario Hardy, CEO PATA - Who dares, wins: Who will hit the reset button?

The Florida Keys is open for business ! Find out the details here

UPCOMING EVENTS
\m