Outrigger Hotels and Resorts

Published on Friday, December 14, 2018

Britons to be charged €7 to visit EU from 2021

Britons will have to pay €7 (£6.30) every three years to travel to EU countries from 2021, the European Commission has confirmed.

The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) will allow them to travel within the EU's Schengen zone for up to 90 days at a time.

Citizens of 61 countries, including the UK, will have to apply for an ETIAS online and the fee applies to those aged 18 to 70.

Officials said the applications should take no more than 10 minutes and applicants will be told almost immediately if their ETIAS has been granted.

It will operate in a similar way to the US ESTA, which costs $14 and lasts for only two years.

EU ministers said the ETIAS was being introduced to tighten security for countries within the Schengen zone.

Under the Brexit deal hammered out between the EU and UK Prime Minister Theresa May, EU citizens and UK nationals will continue to be able to travel freely with a passport of ID card until the end of the transition period in 2020.

After 2020, UK nationals will be allowed to make trips of up to 90 days every six months to the EU without applying for a visa, as long as the UK offers the same to EU nationals, but UK nationals will need an ETIAS, whether Britain leaves the EU with or without a deal.

Applicants will be asked for their passport information, education and work experience, as well as background questions about criminal records and medical conditions. Applicants must also give details of the first EU country they intend to visit.

Applications can be denied or take up to two weeks to process, but the majority of holidaymakers will receive their ETIAS within a few minutes.

Story Image

Your Comments

, be the first to post a comment.
Your email:

Email other comments made to this story

NOTE: Comments are subject to admin approval before being posted.
  • Visas into the UK from EU residents

    Simple reply. Instigate a similar visa requirement to all EU citizens travelling to the UK. It might curtail the criminal gangs from various former Eastern Bloc countries and will provide a financial boost to our ailing domestic tourism if part of the fee was passed on . Charge them more and call it a tourist tax. Let's hear our politicians get tough for a change.

    By Michael Edwards, Monday, December 17, 2018

  • 90 days per 6 months?

    This is the first time I've seen the 'every six months' quoted on articles about this. Does anyone know if this will apply to people who have holiday homes in another EU country before Brexit date? Would a local (Greek in our case) residency certificate negate the need for this? My husband had to get one in order to buy our last Greek car & presumably I could get one too. If you are over 70 can you stay for longer, or is it just a free application? We generally stay in Greece for 7-8 weeks Spring & again late Summer/Autumn, so it would depend if a rolling 6 months applies as it is less than 6 months total in 1 year so we remain UK residents for tax, etc.

    By Sylvia Cook, Monday, December 17, 2018

Mole Poll
Have you seen a surge in demand for US trips?


UKinbound are in Manchester for the Annual Convention - What can you expect?

Qatar moved from red to amber list: Phil Dickinson details the growth plans for the destination

Japan - The bucket list destination - five experts describe a life in the day of a visitor

Lonely Planet launch UK Road trip Guide

Ottawa - Capital of Canada is open for business and ready for visitors