WestJet
http://admin.travelmole.com/images/stories/2009/images/diamondprincess.jpg

Published on Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Ten Princess passengers test positive for coronavirus



A number of British passengers are on the Princess Cruises ship currently quarantined off the Japanese port of Yokohama, which has now confirmed 10 people on board have tested positive for coronavirus.





The affected passengers have been taken to hospital from the 'ghost ship', with 3,700 others on the eight-day round-trip cruise now consigned to their rooms for two weeks.


Health officials have said it's possible more people on the ship will come down with the virus, which has now killed 500 people. Almost 25,000 are confirmed to have now been infected globally.


Japan ordered the ship into quarantine after an 80-year-old passenger, who left the vessel in Hong Kong on January 25, tested positive for the virus. 


All guests have access to free wi-fi, and will get a full refund and a future cruise credit.


British passenger David Abel, celebrating his 50th wedding anniversary on board the ship with wife Sally, posted on Facebook saying: 'We are now officially in quarantine'.


"It appears that our quarantine is on board the ship, that we will not be taken off to a hospital. We are to remain on board the ship and we are confined to our cabins."


He later posted that passengers had received 'no food or drink', however, later reports said food is being delivered to cabins. He added some fellow passengers 'don't give a damn about personal hygiene', according to the Mirror.


He added: "The only checks are hygiene at food time. Other than that staff are going about their business. You would not be aware there are 3,600 people onboard, that's for sure.


"Staff are constantly cleaning and sanitizing public areas such as handrails and door handles. Passengers are requested not to use public toilets unless in emergency.


"Nobody is able to book onward flights as we have no idea when quarantine will clear."


Another British passenger, called Alan, told Sky News the staff and crew were 'doing their best under very difficult circumstances', but added being 'confined to a cabin for 14 days will drive us mad'.


About 6,000 passengers on the Costa Smeralda were initially quarantined last week after two guests were suspected of having the Wuhan coronavirus, although tests later showed they were suffering from a flu virus.


Several cruise lines - including Princess - have announced measures aimed at stopping the spread of coronavirus, including banning guests from ships if they have travelled from or through mainland China in the 14 days prior to the departure date of the cruise.

Story Image



Your Comments

, be the first to post a comment.
Your email:






Email other comments made to this story


NOTE: Comments are subject to admin approval before being posted.
Mole Poll
Has coronavirus (COVID-19 ) put your clients off cruising?
YES 54.35 %
NO 45.65 %

Thank you for your vote


LATEST MOLES' PODCAST

Clearwater Marine Aquarium talks about Rescue Rehab Release and the future of Marine Life

Dana Young CEO and President of @visitflorida

The Mole talks to Mal Barrit the MD of @traveltek about expansion, tech and strategy

Going back to Sharm ? What to expect as the Mole talks to the Egyptian Tourism Authority



Move scroll bar (above) left to right for more videos!

UPCOMING EVENTS
\m