Drive American
http://admin.travelmole.com/images/stories/2009/images/Mekongwebinar.png

Published on Sunday, August 9, 2020

TravelMole Mekong webcast: Plan for Thailand travel bubbles on hold



Thailand's international borders could stay closed until next year as the country takes a 'very cautious' approach to welcoming international tourism again.


Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, deputy governor for international marketing at Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said no specific discussions have taken place on opening the country for leisure travellers.


Ayudha was speaking at the second Mekong Recovery Update Webinar, organised by TravelMole and Mekong Tourism.





So far 'there has been no mention of a timeline' for international tourism.


However some groups of travellers will be permitted on a 'controlled basis' by undergoing a period of state quarantine.


These include some approved business travellers, exhibition personnel and investors from certain countries, including China, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.


The 'travel bubble' agreements the country had been touting with other Asian nations look to be on the back burner for now at least.


"There have been second wave outbreaks in so many countries we were hoping to get tourists from under the travel bubble, including, unfortunately, Vietnam," he said.


Thailand hasn't had any confirmed cases of local transmission for several weeks, but other countries such as Japan have been struggling to contain a second wave.


Although the proposal has now stalled, the government had been discussing 'certified designated areas' to be used for tourism, which would likely be on Thai islands such as Phuket and Koh Samui for example.


The government is now taking a 'wait and see' approach and will assess how it handles the controlled number of approved travellers, such as diplomats, before opening up to the leisure segment, Ayudhya said.


 


By Ray Montgomery, Asia Pacific editor

Story Image



Your Comments

, be the first to post a comment.
Your email:






Email other comments made to this story


NOTE: Comments are subject to admin approval before being posted.
Mole Poll
'WTM London abandons plans for live 2020 event' - Will Covid prove the end for WTM ?
No 50.41 %
Yes 49.59 %

Thank you for your vote



What is GoodtoGo?

Submit your news
or special offer


Current UK Special Edition



Current US Special Edition



Current Asia/Pacific Special Edition



LATEST 'MOLE VIDEOS

Air Transat are 'over ready' for take off as long as the governments act fast

Craig and Andy of Flexireps explain the range of services they offer and to whom

Visit Brighton launch new 'Never Normal' campaign and look to a post Covid world

PATA UK Chapter Chairman talks about 2021 as the start of the come back for the region

UPCOMING EVENTS
\m