Ocean’s Eleven’ Now On: 11 Weeks of Ocean Sustainability by Outrigger Resorts
Outrigger’s ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ campaign includes coral planting, mangrove propagation, marine education awareness and more.
To go beyond World Oceans Month, which started 8 June, Outrigger Resorts has kicked off 11 weeks of environmental actions, informally called ‘Ocean’s Eleven’, which will run to 31 August across its nine flagship properties.
Outrigger’s Asia Pacific resorts, including Fiji, Thailand, Mauritius, Maldives and Hawaii, are hosting multiple events from coral planting to fish-house making to beach and marine clean-ups and mangrove tree planting. For guests less willing to take the plunge, there will be in-room videos, kids’ club activities and presentations on manta rays, whale sharks, turtles and coral reef conservation.
‘Ocean’s Eleven’ is an extension of Outrigger’s ZONE (OZONE), the company’s global conservation initiative that provides enriching experiences for Outrigger guests, hosts and local communities with an emphasis on healthy oceans and coral reefs.
Examples of the marine conservation campaign by Outrigger include:
- Phuket – following beach cleaning on 8 June by the hosts of Outrigger Surin Beach Resort and Outrigger Khao Lak Beach Resort, the team joined mangrove tree planting at Mai Khao beach in Phuket, 13 June.
- Koh Samui – the Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort staff collaborated with Trash Heroes Koh Samui in its weekly clean-up efforts around the island’s beaches; staff also assisted the Bantai Crab Bank in their catch and release programme which releases baby crabs back into the ocean.
- Maldives – led by Outrigger Maafushivaru Maldives Resort in-house marine biologist Lynn Kessler, Outrigger will collect data on manta rays and whale sharks for local conservation NGOs; she is also working with ORP a sea turtle protection group that also carries out underwater clean ups of man-made debris; Ms Kessler will be giving marine biology presentations twice a week for guests. And to raise awareness — and for fun – Outrigger is offering guests a Blue Ocean Martini, made of vodka, martini and Blue Curacao.
- Mauritius – beach cleaning at Outrigger Mauritius with local school children in August when a mobile marine educational centre called Bis Lamer will be present at the resort throughout the month. On 8 June there were ocean awareness trips on a glass bottom boat for kids who also joined in World Ocean Day ‘edutainment’ games on shore.
- Fiji – there will be a round-the-island beach clean up 16 June at Castaway Island, Fiji and fish house making on 23 June.
- Hawaii – hosts and guests at Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort will participate in a Sustainable Coastlines Festival Cleanup, taking place 18 June; Outrigger will also hold its 6th Annual OZONE Day at Waikiki Aquarium, with many educational activities for families, 25 June.
These are just a highlight of activities. Others will be added between mid June and the end of August.
“As owners and operators of beach resorts from Mauritius to Hawaii, Outrigger has a front-row seat to the link between healthy oceans and healthy communities,” said Monica Salter, Outrigger’s VP of global communications and social responsibility.
“The goal for ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ – 11 weeks of marine action and awareness raising – is to inspire both guests and hosts to take individual action towards a sustainable lifestyle. This will hopefully make a positive impact for the planet beyond our almost three-month intensive period of action,” she said.
Further information: www.Outrigger.com/sustainablesummer
Learn more about Outrigger Resorts & Hotels
Price Based Country test mode enabled for testing United States (US). You should do tests on private browsing mode. Browse in private with Firefox, Chrome and Safari