Baby pat-down sets US atwitter
Wednesday, 13 May, 2011
0
Baby pat-down: Security staff check an eight-month-old for explosives
The row over airport security “pat downs” in the US was reignited this week after pictures emerged on Twitter of an eight-month-old baby being frisked at Kansas City International.
A pastor who had successfully passed through security took the picture after feeling that the pat-down “didn’t sit right” with him. He then posted it on Twitter, causing an overnight sensation.
The picture has now been seen by more than 300,000 viewers.
But Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nick Kimball insisted staff were just doing their job as the child’s buggy had set off an alert of possible traces of explosives. The security officers were simply following this up, he said.
The Reverend Jacob Jester has since registered shock that his picture should cause such a stir.
He apologised to the mother of the baby for the exposure but said she simply laughed it off.
Kimball added: “Less than 3% of all passengers get pat-downs at the checkpoint.”
A similar furore was caused last month when a six-year-old child was patted down at an airport in New Orleans.
by Dinah Hatch
Dinah
Have your say Cancel reply
Most Read
TRAINING & COMPETITION
Posting....
Skip to toolbar
Clearing CSS/JS assets' cache... Please wait until this notice disappears...
Updating... Please wait...
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.

































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025