Egypt extends charter incentives in wake of bombings
Egypt will extend its tour operator incentive scheme until the end of the year as it continues to woo back tourists following the Sharm El Sheikh bombings.
Since the attacks in August, the tourist board, in partnership with hoteliers, has been paying for the bulk of any unsold charter seats in a move to persuade operators not to cancel flights.
The scheme was scheduled to end at the month but, following its success, has been extended until December 30. The scheme will also now include flights to Luxor, Taba and El Alamein in addition to Sharm.
Egypt Tourist Board UK regional director Khaled Rama said: “We offered to pay for any unsold seats up to 94% of the capacity. It was a way of reassuring the industry that we are still here and standing side by side with the trade.
“Because many flights have been almost full, we still have the budget for the scheme and have decided to extent it to the end of the year.”
The incentives kick in when 65% of the charter seats have been sold.
Rama said tourists are returning to Egypt’s resorts and claimed prices were holding up well.
Figures released by the tourist show 73,019 UK tourists visited Egypt during August, 300 more than July and an increase of 35% on August last year.
Rama said the year-on-year increase reflects the growing number of charters flying into the Red Sea resorts. Capacity will rise again in October when GB Airways is due to launch flights into the region.
Report by Steve Jones
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025