New passport checks delayed to avoid Easter queues
Border Force has delayed the introduction of stricter passport checks at British borders to avoid causing longer queues at Eurotunnel and ferry ports over the busy Easter weekend.
The checks, which will now be introduced in early April, are designed to catch illegal immigrants as they leave the UK.
Director general of the Border Force Sir Charles Montgomery told the Commons’ Home Affairs Select Committee they were due to be launched next month.
However, he said the start date had been pushed back by a week until April 8 after operators warned they would cause long delays for holidaymakers setting off on their Easter holidays.
Eurotunnel and ferry port operators were particularly concerned as the checks will require them to record information on all travellers, which means boarding coaches and taking down the details of everyone on board.
The details will be passed to the Home Office to enable it to identify immigration offenders. Sir Charles told MPs immigration officers have detained 6,000 illegal immigrants in Britain from April to December last year.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.
































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025