Airlines to meet today to discuss flights to Sharm el-Sheikh
Airlines are to meet the Department for Transport today to discuss the safety of passenger flights to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, which have been suspended since it emerged that a Russian jet that crashed in the region in October had been brought down by a bomb.
British Airways and easyJet announced this week that they would not resume flying to the Egyptian resort until January. BA has suspended all services until January 14, easyJet has suspended flights until January 6.
However, other airlines including Thomas Cook, Thomson and Monarch have only suspended flights until December, pending further advice from the Department for Transport.
Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Fankhauser revealed this morning, as he announced the group’s full year profits, that all airline operators were due to meet to discuss flying to Sharm later today.
Monarch and easyJet said last week that they would relaunch services to the popular resort as soon as the UK government felt it was safe to do so, although Monarch chief commercial officer Adrian Tighe said it would take a couple of weeks to resume flights.
Fankhauser said today Thomas Cook was waiting for advice from the UK government and supporting the UK and Egyptian authorities in making the airport safe.
It was revealed this week that the bomb that blew up the Metrojet flight shortly after it left Sharm, killing all 224 onboard, had been placed under Seat 30A or 31A, both of which were occupied by Russian holidaymakers.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.

































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025