Tourism director: Puerto Vallarta safe for tourists
The director of Puerto Vallarta’s tourism board has assured travelers and tour operators the city is safe to visit, despite three cruise ships cancelling port calls in the last few days.
Agustin Alvarez said the violence, as law enforcement battle with local drug gangs, was localized and did not impact tourism in any way.
"The city of Puerto Vallarta and other areas in the state of Jalisco experienced disturbances on Friday morning May 1. The local city and state police quickly responded and put an end to the situation within a matter of hours. Peace was restored and no further events have occurred," Alvarez said in a statement.
"No harm came to any residents or visitors to Puerto Vallarta and no disturbance, restriction or limits have affected tourists in Puerto Vallarta. All tourism infrastructure and services including the port, marina, airport, convention center, hotels and resorts, tours, and transport remained fully operational."
The Celebrity Infinity, Disney Wonder and Royal Caribbean’s Jewel of the Seas all scrapped port calls this week due to the fears of the violence escalating.
However Alvarez said it is business as usual with hotel occupancy more than 95% last week.
"Please rest assured that visitors to Puerto Vallarta continue to enjoy the tranquility, warm hospitality and security it is well known for, and the incidents that took place last week have in no way affected or altered this," Alvarez added.
TravelMole Editorial Team
Editor for TravelMole North America and Asia pacific regions. Ray is a highly experienced (15+ years) skilled journalist and editor predominantly in travel, hospitality and lifestyle working with a huge number of major market-leading brands. He has also cover in-depth news, interviews and features in general business, finance, tech and geopolitical issues for a select few major news outlets and publishers.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.

































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025