Travellers told to stay away from Brussels
Belgian authorities are advising against travel to Brussels following a series of terror attacks in the city.
Two explosions went off at Brussels international airport, killing 11 people, and there was a third blast in the carriage of a metro train at a station in the city centre, killing 20. Dozens more were injured, some critically.
Zaventem Airport was badly damaged and remains closed until further notice.
All flights to Zaventem have been suspended since Tuesday morning.
Ryanair said services due to operate to Zaventem today will be re-routed to nearby Charleroi.
Eurostar services were suspended to Brussels following the blasts but a limited service began operating later in the day.
Normal Eurostar services have resumed, but passengers are advised to check in an hour before departure due to additional security. Passengers who don’t want to travel to Brussels can exchange their ticket or claim a refund, said the train operator.
Public transport in the city has re-opened.
Although March is not a busy time for leisure tourism, Brussels is a year-round destination for business travel.
The Guild of Travel Management Companies said the events in Brussels demonstrate the importance of putting systems in place to protect travellers.
"Unfortunately planning around horrible events has become commonplace for the professional travel management sector," it said.
"The increasing advent of major travel disruption, and extensive questions around the safety and security of those travelling for business, is something that TMCs are prepared for.
"Duty of care is exceptionally important, but as is being able to conduct business safely during difficult scenarios. Everyone in the business travel industry hopes that these skills, and the supporting technology and booking processes, are never needed.
"Corporate travel planners should be checking and re-checking their approaches, policies and reporting in order to understand what they would do if impacted by what has unfolded in Brussels, and ensuring that they are confident their people can be safely tracked. Sadly, these are essential planning processes for any business with people who travel."
Colleen Lerro Gallagher, communications director for the GBTA, said business travel must continue despite terror attacks.
"GBTA’s Risk Committee has previously spoken about understanding the difference between living in terror and living with terror, because the reality is people still need to travel and businesses still have to do business," she said.
"We live in a global economy that still requires face-to-face interaction to move forward. It’s important for travel buyers to keep informed so they can make prudent decisions for their travel programme."
Belgium has raised its terror alert to the highest level, which means an attack is believed imminent.
Bev
Editor in chief Bev Fearis has been a travel journalist for 25 years. She started her career at Travel Weekly, where she became deputy news editor, before joining Business Traveller as deputy editor and launching the magazine’s website. She has also written travel features, news and expert comment for the Guardian, Observer, Times, Telegraph, Boundless and other consumer titles and was named one of the top 50 UK travel journalists by the Press Gazette.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.

































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025