Emirates finally gets delivery date for second A380

Saturday, 10 Oct, 2008 0

Sydney Morning Herald reports that Dubai’s Emirates airline will receive its second A380 superjumbo on October 24 and hopes Airbus will stick to the timetable of further deliveries after earlier delays, its president said Thursday.

“It will be delivered on October 24 in Hamburg,” Tim Clark said during a tour with journalists of Dubai airport’s new terminal, which is due to open next week.

He said further deliveries would take place in November and December with a fifth aircraft to be delivered in either January or February.

When asked if he believed Airbus would abide by the new timetable, he said: “I hope so.”

Emirates launched a non-stop service with the A380 between Dubai and New York on August 1.

The airline, which is owned by the government of Dubai, is the largest customer of the delay-plagued A380. It has 58 on order in a deal worth about 18.8 billion dollars based on list prices.

It had earlier said it will receive a total of five of the superjumbos during its current financial year ending next March.

Emirates has had a long wait for the superjumbo, with the first initially scheduled for delivery in October 2007, but Clark ruled out seeking compensation from manufacturer EADS.

“We’ve always said we’re more interested in getting the airplanes than haggling over the money,” Clark told reporters on Thursday.

“We came to an arrangement over the late deliveries.”

Clark said Emirates, the Middle East’s biggest carrier, was also facing delays in the delivery of Boeing airplanes it has ordered.

“The Boeing strike of course has given us some difficulties.”  “We are facing delays in the programme,” he said.

Boeing’s 27,000 machinists, who represent 16 percent of the US company’s workforce, went on strike on September 6 after the collapse of three-year contract talks.

Clark said Emirates would use the second A380 to turn its twice-weekly flights to New York into daily flights. The other superjumbos will be used to operate flights to London Heathrow starting in December and Sydney and Auckland next February.

A Report by The Mole



 

profileimage

John Alwyn-Jones



Most Read

Vegas’s Billion-Dollar Secrets – What They Don’t Want Tourists to Know

Visit Florida’s New CEO Bryan Griffin Shares His Vision for State Tourism with Graham

Chicago’s Tourism Renaissance: Graham Interviews Kristin Reynolds of Choose Chicago

Graham Talks with Cassandra McCauley of MMGY NextFactor About the Latest Industry Research

Destination International’s Andreas Weissenborn: Research, Advocacy, and Destination Impact

Graham and Don Welsh Discuss the Success of Destinations International’s Annual Conference

Graham and CEO Andre Kiwitz on Ventura Travel’s UK Move and Recruitment for the Role

Brett Laiken and Graham Discuss Florida’s Tourism Momentum and Global Appeal

Graham and Elliot Ferguson on Positioning DC as a Cultural and Inclusive Global Destination

Graham Talks to Fraser Last About His England-to-Ireland Trek for Mental Health Awareness

Kathy Nelson Tells Graham About the Honour of Hosting the World Cup and Kansas City’s Future

Graham McKenzie on Sir Richie Richardson’s Dual Passion for Golf and His Homeland, Antigua
TRAINING & COMPETITION
Skip to toolbar
Clearing CSS/JS assets' cache... Please wait until this notice disappears...
Updating... Please wait...