France extends state of emergency after Nice lorry attack
French president Francois Hollande has extended the country’s state of emergency for another three months following last night’s lorry attack in Nice.
The current state of emergency was to run until July 23, but will now continue until at least October 23.
Authorities say 84 peole died after a lorry was driven into a crowd who had been watching the fireworks as part of Bastille Day celebrations in the city’s famous Promenade des Anglais.
It is reported a further 50 are critical, described as ‘fighting for their lives’ and hundreds are injured. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has confirmed at least one British national was among those injured.
Authorities in the US have confirmed a 52-year-old father and his 11-year-old son, from Austin, Texas, are among the dead.
The lorry driver, who allegedly then opened fire on the crowd, was shot dead by police. He is reported to be a 31-year-old French-Tunisian who was known to the authorities, although he was not on a terrorism watch list.
Hollande said: "France is filled with tragedy." He has promised more troops and tighter border controls.
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office told British visitors who are in the area to follow the instructions of the French authorities.
Stock markets across Europe fell this morning following the attack.
Travel stocks on the FTSE 100 endured the bulk of the losses, with IAG – the owner of British Airways, easyJet and Flybe all losing around 3% of their market value in the first few minutes of trading.
TUI was 1.2% lower, Thomas Cook was down 1.3%.
Bev
Editor in chief Bev Fearis has been a travel journalist for 25 years. She started her career at Travel Weekly, where she became deputy news editor, before joining Business Traveller as deputy editor and launching the magazine’s website. She has also written travel features, news and expert comment for the Guardian, Observer, Times, Telegraph, Boundless and other consumer titles and was named one of the top 50 UK travel journalists by the Press Gazette.
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.
































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025