Philadelphia celebrates Juneteenth
One of the largest Juneteenth celebrations in the nation is the annual Philadelphia Juneteenth Parade & Festival, started by the Pennsylvania Juneteenth Initiative.
For 2022, the parade will kick off on Sunday, June 19 at 52nd Street and Parkside Avenue featuring elaborate floats, marching bands, dance groups, and other performers.
It makes its way through West Philadelphia, ending at Malcolm X Park, where the festival will feature activities, local merchants, food vendors, and art exhibits, as well as health initiatives offering Covid-19 testing and vaccinations.
Just across the street from Malcolm X Park, there are carnival, games, face painting, photo booths, and more family-friendly activities.
Philadelphia’s Germantown neighborhood is also hosting a large Juneteenth celebration, held annually outside of the Johnson House Historic Site. The 6300 block of Germantown Avenue will also feature a historical and cultural marketplace, exhibitions, and live performances. Tours of the National Historic Landmark will also be offered throughout the day.
Philadelphia’s annual Wawa Welcome America festival will begin on June 19 and run through July 4 featuring several events commemorating Juneteenth. At the African American Museum in Philadelphia, enjoy a Juneteenth Block Party from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. on June 19, 2022 featuring family-friendly activities and events outside of the museum. The museum will also offer free admission on June 19, 2022.
The National Constitution Center along Independence Mall commemorates the holiday by offering free admission on Sunday, June 19, 2022. The museum will also have special tours of their Civil War and Reconstruction: The Battle for Freedom and Equality exhibit. Nearby, the Museum of the American Revolution will celebrate Juneteenth from June 18-20, 2022 with a series of events and activities hosted online and in-person.
Another historic site worth visiting to commemorate Juneteenth is Mother Bethel AME Church. Founded in 1792, the church is one of the oldest of its kind in the country and one of the oldest pieces of property continuously owned by African Americans.
Other 2022 Juneteenth events include:
- A Juneteenth Freedom Program, Juneteenth: Erecting New Monuments, at the Library Company of Philadelphia on Friday, June 17, 2022 at 6 p.m.
- A special exhibition The Quest for Freedom and Dignity: Celebrating William Still and Harriet Tubman highlighting Philadelphia’s Black community hosted by the Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection at Temple University.
- The Betsy Ross House in Old City will conclude its week-long Flag Fest on Sunday, June 19, 2022 with a Juneteenth flag raising.
- The first annual Juneteenth Dance Party hosted by Cavanaugh’s River Deck along the Delaware River waterfront on Friday, June 17, 2022 from 5-8 p.m.
- Juneteenth Music Fest presented by Sunflower Spacecakes Records from 4-8 p.m. on Sunday, June 19, 2022 at One Art Community Center.
- Hosted by The Chester Cultural Arts and Technology Center, The Juneteenth Event will take place on Saturday, June 18, 2022 at Subaru Park, the Philadelphia Union’s stadium in Chester, Delaware County.