Qantas engineers call a truce – for now
Qantas engineers have called off a strike planned for early next week, sparing passengers cancellations and delays to flights.
The airline’s 1600 aircraft engineers had planned to take a range of strike measures, including stoppages and limitations on work.
The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association said it had pulled the action because ‘‘there is enough impost on the Qantas passengers at this point in time.
“It certainly won’t be the end of the action but we are reappraising the situation,†said a union leader.
The union spokesman said strike action had been cancelled to clear a backlog of maintenance work on Qantas aircraft.
Qantas and the engineers’ union – which cancelled at the last minute a strike scheduled for Friday – will return to talks before a Fair Work Australia judge on Monday.
Qantas group executive government and corporate affairs, Olivia Wirth, said, “These tactics from the union of threatening strike action and cancelling it at the last minute, cause uncertainty for passengers, our staff and the airline.
“There is no basis to the union’s claims they are cancelling industrial action due to aircraft maintenance issues, this is just a tactic.â€
The engineers’ union has indicated it will not take industrial action for at least the next four weeks.
Ian Jarrett
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.
































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025