Qantas says passenger demand down
A Reuters report this morning says that Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon said in Melbourne that, “There is a lessening in demand in all classes, Qantas has held up better than most airlines,” speaking at the launch of its Airbus A380 service to Los Angeles.
Worries about the impact of the global economic slowdown on international travel have hit airline shares in recent weeks, with Qantas shares down 14 percent since the start of October compared with an 11 percent slide for the broader market.
Demand had already been hit by soaring oil prices earlier in the year, which saw airlines raise fares to cover their rising fuel bills, though oil prices have since halved from record highs amid the credit crunch.
The Airbus A380 will begin service from Melbourne to Los Angeles on Monday and will fly the Sydney-Los Angeles route on Friday.
It is configured for 450 passengers including 14 in first class and 72 in business shaped in futuristic silvery-backed pods.
Qantas and other customers have been hit by a two-year delay in deliveries due to problems in wiring the double-decker A380.
The first plane rolled off the assembly line at the end of 2007. Airbus plans to deliver another five this year, including two more to Qantas.
Alan Joyce, head of Qantas subsidiary JetStar, will take over as Qantas chief executive from November.
A Report by The Mole
John Alwyn-Jones
Have your say Cancel reply
Subscribe/Login to Travel Mole Newsletter
Travel Mole Newsletter is a subscriber only travel trade news publication. If you are receiving this message, simply enter your email address to sign in or register if you are not. In order to display the B2B travel content that meets your business needs, we need to know who are and what are your business needs. ITR is free to our subscribers.

































Phocuswright reveals the world's largest travel markets in volume in 2025
Higher departure tax and visa cost, e-arrival card: Japan unleashes the fiscal weapon against tourists
Cyclone in Sri Lanka had limited effect on tourism in contrary to media reports
Singapore to forbid entry to undesirable travelers with new no-boarding directive
Euromonitor International unveils world’s top 100 city destinations for 2025