Santa Monica Loves Brighton: SoCal style in East Sussex
The Mayors of Santa Monica and Brighton & Hove have joined forces as part of a new Friendship City Pact to boost tourism to the seaside pier cities.
The partnership will kick off this July when Santa Monica Travel & Tourism (SMTT) hosts a series of Santa Monica-inspired events and experiences at key locations around Brighton throughout the month.
The pact aims to deepen the relationship between the two cities.
It will promote cultural understanding and offeran exchange of ideas through school curriculums, events, and in-market tourism experiences.
On 29 July the Mayor of Brighton & Hove, Lizzie Deane, and the Mayor Pro Tem of Santa Monica, Kristin McCowan will each sign the official Friendship City Partnership Agreement in person with senior representatives of Visit Brighton and visiting leaders of SMTT.
The Mayors will then unveil a dedicated street art mural to mark the collaboration by Santa Monica artist, Ruben Rojas, on Brighton’s Palace Pier.
As part of the events programme, SMTT representatives will also take part in several key trade events including the Visit USA Summer Affair in London on 6th July as well as hosting a private event for industry partners, trade and media in Brighton’s Shelter Hall on 14th July.
Santa Monica Travel & Tourism is also offering one lucky winner and their guest the chance to win a four-night trip to Santa Monica. The competition is now live at www.SantaMonicaLovesBrighton.com*
Misti Kerns, President & CEO, SMTT said, “We are proud to stand side by side with Brighton as our partner city in the UK. The desire to collaborate, support each other and exchange ideas between our pier cities is really what drives this synergy.”
Santa Monica x Brighton events calendar highlights:
- Shelter Hall Takeover throughout July and August – Visitors can enjoy the tastes and sounds of Santa Monica with cocktails in the Skylark Bar and fresh juices in Zest (from 1 – 31 July) plus Californian cuisine at the Shelter Hall Kitchen (from 7 July – 31 August) and Sunday Music Sessions (from 10 July)
- Yellowave Volleyball on the Beach from 2 July – Visitors to Yellowave Beach Sports Club can take part in a Santa Monica Vibes volleyball tournament, free open court Beach Volleyball taster sessions with a qualified coach and a beach sunset BBQ and music evening (on 29 July)
- Paddle Round the Pier on 3 July – Santa Monica Travel & Tourism will be the title sponsor of The Big Paddle race as part of the annual Paddle Round The Pier event
- Live Santa Monica cooking demonstrations at One Market Brighton on 9 & 16 July – Gain some insider tips on how to cook a Santa Monica style dish from two top chefs, Govind Armstrong and Josiah Citrin
- The Set Santa Monica-inspired Menu Collaboration from 13 July – Foodies enjoy a special tasting menu to celebrate the pier cities partnership featuring dishes by two special guest chefs from Santa Monica, Govind Armstrong and Josiah Citrin
- Friendship City mural unveiling on 29 July – The pier cities’ Mayors will join forces to unveil Santa Monica artist, Ruben Rojas’, dedicated mural in honour of the partnership